Issues and Solutions from Hadjiyiannis!
Peeling of waterproofing layer
The possible causes of this problem can be attributed to the following:
- Insufficient cleaning of the ceiling from dust and foreign particles
- Failure to use a primer and/or over-thinning the primer
- Lack of adhesion of either primer or waterproofing material
- Insufficient roof slopes combined with incorrect product selection
- Application of the waterproofing material in extreme weather conditions (at a temperature above 35 °C)
- First, the loose-defoliated material should be removed. Any repairs that need to be done, must be done before the new waterproofing layer is applied.
- Thorough cleaning of the surface from dust and foreign particles
- Complete application of the primer on the ceiling
- After the primer has dried, a layer of waterproofing sealant is applied along the junction of the roof with vertical elements. While the layer is still fresh, the sealant is reinforced with a strip of polyester fabric or fiberglass
- This is followed by universal coating of the roof with the sealant (in at least two layers) and at the same time reinforcement of the first layer with a strip of polyester fabric or Fiberglass mesh. If there are no suitable slopes on the roof, the polyurethane waterproofing ISOFLEX-PU 510 should be used after applying the primer PRIMER-PU 100 by Isomat. ISOFLEX PU-510 has excellent resistance to stagnant water and great adhesion to the substrate. It is also certified with the CE mark as a concrete surface protection product in accordance with the EN 1504-2 standard. For additional protection of the polyurethane waterproofing layer, use the aliphatic polyurethane coating ISOFLEX TOPCOAT-PU 720.
- As an alternative to ISOFLEX-PU 510, you can use the water-soluble products ISOFLEX-HYBRID and ISOFLEX-AEGEAN in combination with the primer ISO-PRIMER. ISOFLEX-HYBRID and ISOFLEX-AEGEAN have high elasticity, resistance to stagnant roof water and are also CE marked as concrete surface protection products according to EN 1504-2 standard. ISOFLEX-AEGEAN has the advantage of maintaining its whiteness over time.